Thursday, February 24, 2011

The perfect snow day...

We don't get a lot of snow here.  Maybe 1-2 "good" storms a year, with a big storm being defined as any that brings snow.  And because it's so rare, people tend to overreact - if there's snow on the roads, its a pretty good chance that there will be no school. Now, I know those of you in other areas are laughing, but I have to admit that I don't mind that even a few flakes bring on the "snowpocalypse" warnings of every weatherperson (professional and amateur).  I'm all for anything that brings a little variety to our lives - especially if it means I get to stay home from work.


So when I got the call at 6am that school was closed for our whole family, I did a little dance of joy.  I would have liked to go back to bed, but I was too awake by that point.  Oh well - may as well begin enjoying the free day as soon as possible, right?

And enjoy we did.  The boys couldn't have been more excited to see the snow outside, but were perfectly content to hang around indoors and just look at it for a while.  In our house, being "stuck" inside often means it's time to break out the folding tables.  It was blanket fort time. And staying in pjs. And playing rocket ship/African safari/doctor.There's no better way to start the day.


Before the snow could all melt away, we had to head outside.  While I lasted all of about 5 minutes, the boys played for over an hour.  They played snow soccer, then got out the shovels.  Truth be told, they came in more muddy than wet, but they had a blast. It was only made better by the cocoa and marshmallows that were waiting for them by the fire.


The afternoon was filled with more fun.  Lego invaders were created. Letter writing was practiced.  Stories were read. But my favorite part?  The oldest was sound asleep in the blanket fort, Dan was napping in our room.  I had just finished reading a novel and the little one came wandering out from his nap. I was sleepy, he was still sleepy, and he climbed onto the couch and into my lap. We pulled the fuzzy blanket up, and the cat hopped onto the party.  And we fell into that delightful not-awake-not-asleep state.  And while we lay there, the snow started to fall again.

I'm not sure that I have ever felt so much at home.  So at peace.  So in love with my life.

1 comment:

  1. So much fun! Wish we could have snow days together with our little men!

    ReplyDelete