Sunday, March 6, 2011

Fresh starts...

New Years is great.  Who doesn't like the opportunity to start fresh?  But for me, I always feel like it comes at the wrong time.  We're in the middle of winter, the middle of the school year, the middle of blah blah blah. For me, fresh starts feel more natural with other change - the season or our daily routines.

Around the beginning of March I always feel this big push for a new beginning.  Those crocuses pop up and I want to clean every cupboard, sterilize every surface, and open all the windows to let the stale air out and fresh  air in. And slowly, those things are starting to happen.  I'm looking at tile for the boys' bathroom floor.  There's a growing garage sale pile in the garage.  I'm going to be starting the Simple Mom Project:Simplify as a way to tackle those troublesome hotspots in our home that collect clutter.

But this week I am also trying something I have never done before.  I am going to be doing the 30 Day Vegan program that Heather over at Beauty that Moves is offering. Now remember, I grew up with 40 acres of beef cattle out my window and a deep seated love of all things cheese. This is going to be tough.  And I have no illusions that I will become a full-time vegan.  But I want a chance to try something that helps make eating well a conscious choice every day for 30 days.

Most of the time, the rest of the family will continue with our regular meal fare.  But there will be new plant offerings on the table, too.  In fact, two of the dinners for this week will work well for all of us - butternut and apple squash soup and pad thai.  And while it isn't a focus of the program, I am also working to drastically lower my processed sugar intake.

So, wish me luck.  I hope to report wonderful feelings of new-found energy, or even just a few new lunch options that keep me from grabbing a hot dog from the Dog House.

3 comments:

  1. You are going to feel great! I'm sure it will be really hard at first, but once you get going, it will be wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could never do it, so props to you!

    Keep us posted on your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Megan, you never fail to inspire me. THanks for this!!

    ReplyDelete