Monday, March 14, 2011

30-Day Check In - Day 8

I'm sitting here at my desk, with just a few minutes before the lunch bell rings and my students flood back into the classroom. Normally at this time I'm trying to gear up - relax the shoulders, read one last blog, inhale a bite of who-remembers-what.  But not today.

Today, I feel ready. Despite the sleepy corners of my brain, the rest of me is rejuvenated and ready to go.  Something that rarely happens in my 30 minutes of lunch.  And I think the difference today is entirely related to the vegan cleanse in which I am participating.

It's day 8.  For breakfast I had a slice of multigrain toast with almond butter and a banana.  Lunch is a collard green and butternut squash soup, and in my lunch bag is a green smoothie for a snack this afternoon.  Dinner will be some yummy whole grains, lots of veggies and some form of plant protein.  Instead of sugar-filled hot cocoa, there will be a teapot full of herbal tea.

As I said from the beginning, I have no intention of becoming a full-time lifetime vegan.  But I am noticing little changes in how my body and brain feel when I eat this way.  My skin feels softer, I don't feel heavy after a meal, and my spirit feels good knowing that I am making deliberate choices to eat healthy, whole foods.  And honestly, I think the "wholeness" of the foods is what is making as much as a difference as the lack of animal products. The lack of processed foods (although I did have a few potato chips the other day) has been good, and the cutting out of sugar has been great.  A week in, and the cravings are gone.  Not that sugar still doesn't sound good - but I don't need it.

Tonight I'll go for a run.  And tomorrow I will fill my body with more food that makes me feel energetic and happy and satisfied.   And I never would have guessed that would be how I would be feeling. What a great surprise! I can't wait to see what the next 22 days brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment