Sunday, April 17, 2011

Much needed...

I've mentioned them before, but I have a fantastic group of friends.  We met at a "New Moms" group when our oldest babies were born.  At the time, the only thing we had in common was not knowing what we were doing.    But now, five and a half years later, these ladies are some of my best friends and closest confidants. I trust them with my children and my heart.

Last year we escaped for a little beach retreat.  A whole weekend without children on the beautiful Oregon coast.  And it was heaven.  Naturally, that meant we needed to make it happen again.  So months ago we began planning for a repeat.  Busy lives, living in two states, and sick husbands couldn't keep us from being there.

It was a much needed break from the world of mothering, and we filled it to the brim with laughing and crying and talking. Late nights were filled with sharing of our worlds before they collided, and the days were filled with reminiscing about our children and solving the problems of the world. We've all got our own things going on, and we don't get to meet once a week like we did in those early days, but the time apart melts away.

These women are some of the most genuine people I know.  The shared willingness to be vulnerable and honest in the good and bad of life amazes me. After all, I didn't grow up with a lot of longterm girlfriends. But these ladies?  I hope they are in my world forever.  I'm a better mama and person because of them. And I love the way they can make me laugh until I cry.








Thank you, ladies, for this much-needed escape.  Same time next year?

1 comment:

  1. Friends like those are hard to come by. I'm so glad you have one another and take the time to treasure your relationship.
    I can't wait to hear more about your weekend!

    ReplyDelete