Monday, January 3, 2011

One little word...

I'm pretty lousy at resolutions.  The only one that has ever lasted longer than a few weeks is flossing my teeth - and even that took a few times to stick! But for the last few years, I have followed the lead of Ali Edwards (and many others) in choosing one little word to help guide my growth and focus my energy for the year.  Last year was mindful, and I blogged a little about it here and here. It really was a powerful reminder all year long of the things I value most - and every day I wear my ring that reminds me to "Be Mindful".

This year, try as I may, I couldn't come up with a word that really resonated.  But I have just finished reading Brene Brown's The Gifts of Imperfection (more to come on that...), and in it she used a phrase that I haven't been able to get out of my head.  So this year's one little word is actually two.

Practice Love

Often in my life, I find that I am very passive in the love that I have for others.  I say it a lot, know that they know I love them, and leave it at that. I blame it on not being a romantic, or being busy, but the truth of the matter is that I am lazy when it comes to showing others I love them.  So this year I will work towards making love active in my life.  I will:

1. Call when I say I am going to call, and sometimes even out of the blue just to let someone know I am thinking of them.

2. Work to show those kindnesses that make others' lives easier - taking meals, babysitting, sending cards and gift packages to friends and family in need.

3. Talk to my children in a way that lets them know I love them even when I am frustrated/tired/cranky.  

4. Spend more time focusing on showing my husband that I love him, and not letting the romantic side of our relationship fall victim to being too busy.

5. Model for my children that we need to love those outside of our immediate family - and that means helping others in need.

6. Be willing to show some of that love to myself and all of my imperfections.

My little sister has always been an amazing romantic.  When I lived in Europe and she came to visit, she hid notes all over my room that let me know she loved me - I found them for the next 6 months I was there.  She sends the cards I buy and think of sending.  She makes all those around her feel special.  When I am challenged with thinking about practicing love, I am going to channel Erin.  Maybe this year's reminder should be a WWED? bracelet.

But for now, maybe I just need to craft a little "Practice Love" banner. 

What's your one little word this year?


2 comments:

  1. You always inspire me, Megan! I think that my word is "Gratitude". I need to focus on being grateful for all of the blessings in my life (like you!) and spend much less time thinking about what else I want.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm speechless. I learned the art of card writing from you. I love you and think that 2011 is going to be a "love"ly year!

    ReplyDelete